Life... with only four letters in the alphabets, speaks volumes to many different individuals. As for us, life is what God has given and what we make out of it in obedience to Jesus Christ! So live life to the full... life is indeed exciting!

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

New Orleans


New Orleans, originally uploaded by Yong Family.

It's been awhile now since I last had an entry in my blog. It's only now I managed to find some time to blog. I'm in New Orleans and have been busy with meetings and also had excellent hosts... hence nights were filled with dinners. I was also having jet lag since last Monday, but it's better now.



Upon landing at Louis Armstrong airport in New Orleans, my host brought my colleague and I to some shops. I didn't buy anything though. After that, my host gave us a tour of the Katrina torned city. There are still parts of the city where restoration work has not begun. It was a sad sight indeed. Residential areas were abandoned, mud and rubbish strewn everywhere, cars left to rot, trees that fell on roof tops and hardly any (if any at all) basic utilities in the neighbourhood. It is no wonder that some people are not returning home. The theme now for this city is "Together we rebuild". They do need a lot of help.



So what food have I had in this French influenced city? There is this doughnut-like cake called 'beignet'. Tastes a bit like 'eu char kuey' with sugar icing! There was also a hint of doughnut taste as it is made from flour. It's nice with coffee. There's also this famous soup that is native to the New Orleans people called 'gumbo'. It's like a seafood stew; shrimp, crawfish, sausage, veggies, etc. Honestly, I could not quite make out what it tastes like. Just plain 'ol soup.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

honey, u shud get the gumbo recipe; sounds like chowder without the white sauce, but with all those ingredients it should taste as nice as my chowder!

we are all missing you.

3:45 PM, March 08, 2006

 
Blogger Francis Ho said...

Wishing you a great and productive trip in New Orleans.

And thank you for sharing it with us!

I hope I'm not intruding into your family by commenting here! :)

4:19 PM, March 09, 2006

 
Blogger Chen said...

wah.. that's lots of icing sugar on the "beignet"..
must be very sweet :)

11:02 PM, March 10, 2006

 
Blogger The Yongs said...

sweetheart,
the gumbo "stew" is not that good compared to your chowder... so no comparison there! i didn't quite like it but today, I had something better; white chocolate bread pudding! super yummy!!! I have the recipe and will bring that back... got to catch my flight home soon... missing you all at home... a lot!

FH2O,
You are most welcomed to drop your comments... you're not intruding here... it's for all to read, that's why I set up this page. have a good weekend.

Chen,
yes, it was sweet but not in a "too sweet" kind of way. I shoke off most of the icing sugar before I ate it. yummy!

4:14 AM, March 11, 2006

 
Blogger The Yongs said...

Chen,
I meant shook.. not shoke (if that was ever a word!)

4:16 AM, March 11, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
 








adopt your own virtual pet!


adopt your own virtual pet!



Click for Miri, Malaysia Forecast