Life... with only four letters in the alphabets, speaks volumes to many different individuals. As for us, life is what God has given and what we make out of it in obedience to Jesus Christ! So live life to the full... life is indeed exciting!

Saturday, July 01, 2006

Mountain Biking

Mountain biking was once a favorite past time of mine. I enjoyed the gadgets that bikers used in this sport. But I think the thrill of it all is in the adventure of exploring new places! Biking on dirt roads at the outskirts of Miri (actually not that far-la) was exciting whilst going through 'kampungs' was like being thrown back to the early days of childhood (not that I lived in a kampung when I was young but I do remember some kampungs in my early days!). We, Stanley, Robin and I, once did a trip from Pujut 7 right up to Bakam beach and back... and boy, were we sore all over the next day! BUT we enjoyed the company and the trip itself. There was once we cycled from Pujut 7 right to where the new port was being constructed but alas, on our way back (it was getting dark) I had a self accident! Nothing serious but it was due to poor visibility then. Some scratches was all there was ... no scars!

On a safety note, please always use your cycling crash helmets (buckled) when you are on the wheels and prior to any journeys, do check the brakes. Useful things that I would normally bring along whilst cycling is my handphone.. for emergencies. There was once my bicycle chain broke and I had to call my wife to rescue me~ bless her!

I have stopped this sport after our kids came along (for obvious reasons) and resorted to other ways to keep fit i.e. jogging. Today was a cloudy day so I decided to take my bike out and have it cleaned. After many years of not riding it, I found out that the 21-speed bike had reduce to 3! I reckon the Shimano gears, which has served me well, had some of its wires untensioned. Both the tyres were flat, needless to say. However, as I was cleaning and oiling it, I somewhat fell in love with the sports once more.

Perhaps one day, I will cycle again... perhaps!























My first mountain bike!
















Still looking good as new.
















The controls for the gears.





















I changed the pedals to enable shoes with cleats to sit comfortably in. More power in the pedal!
















Tyres flat out!

















The reflectors reflected the cameras flash well! Important feature!


P.S. After some thought, I'm thinking of selling my bike to hopefully give it more life than just sitting covered up... any takers?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

how much will u offer for the bike? it looks very new though. who knows i can look for students who wants to buy a second hand bike.. hehe..
well, i enjoy cycling myself as well. can't get to do sports much since im in miri except for jogging or swimming. it's not like the good old days wher i have my gang to play basketball n badminton... u play those uncle??

1:04 AM, July 02, 2006

 
Blogger ghee said...

I guess you got all the excitements thru mountain biking :D

maybe its the time to ride on your back again?

happy sunday!

2:27 PM, July 02, 2006

 
Blogger The Yongs said...

Amy,
Will let you know how much I'm willing to let it go when you are back in Miri but should not be too expensive. It looks new cause I take care of it... wash it well after every ride.
Btw, I still owe you a drink at Coffee Bean.... I've not forgotten! :D

Ghee,
Moutain biking is indeed a fun-filled and exhilarating way to exercise.
Have a Blessed Sunday too!

2:37 PM, July 02, 2006

 
Blogger Chen said...

I miss the days of mountain biking :)
I do enjoy cycling a lot..

10:18 PM, July 07, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
 








adopt your own virtual pet!


adopt your own virtual pet!



Click for Miri, Malaysia Forecast